Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I have been reading Shel Silverstein poems to my daughter at night. I have loved his poems since childhood. Well, today I feel like this one...
THE LOSER
Mama said I'd lose my head
If it wasn't fastened on.
Today I guess it wasn't
'Cause while playing with my cousin
It fell off and rolled away
And now it's gone.
And I can't look for it
'Cause my eyes are in it,
And I can't call to it
'Cause my mouth is on it
(Couldn't hear me anyway
'Cause my ears are on it),
Can't even think about it
'Cause my brain is in it.
So I guess I'll sit down
On this rock
And rest for just a minute....
For those of you who may not be familiar with the book there is a picture of a headless guy sitting on a head.
Why do I feel this way you may ask? Well the day started out good. I got up at 5 and went to the gym. I really am determined to meet my goal. I got back at 6:20 to wake up J for school they are having tests today that are required for graduation. Because A has already passed them he gets to sleep in. I make lunches got N up for school, squared up Strawberry Zing (yes it is all quilted Yea!!!) Then tickled DD awake, showered, helped her finish up a book report, and got her off to school. Then I headed out the door to do the volunteer work I do every Tuesday. When I got back two hours later. I heard someone downstairs. About scared me to death. Then I realized.... I never woke up A before I left to get ready for school.
I know you are thinking he is old enough to get himself up and he is. But because I like to pray with my kids before I send them off to school and I find the best time to do that is right when they roll out of bed. (Otherwise they get running behind and it doesn't happen) So they come to count on me to wake them up on school days. A, being the teenager he is, probably doesn't get enough sleep so sleeping that late when not being woke up is common. Needless to say he was late for school.
The advantage of being brainless this morning is I had already done my volunteer work and didn't need the car so he could take it and I won't have to pick him up later since he needs to stay after today, thus making a little more sewing time. Hope I find my head by then.

12 comments:

  1. I love his poems and this is a great one.;) I hope the day starts getting better for you and everything works out okay in the end. Can't wait to see the finished strawberry zing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done that so many times it isn't funny. Head counts are alwyas a good thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days are like that! I love his poems, we read them all over and over. For awhile I even had Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout posted by the kitchen trash can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very much like a Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we own every one of his books. My kids loved them when growing up and could relate to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute poem, mine are still young enough that when I poke one they all are up! Hope you've had a good afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love his poems. Sounds like you had a busy day. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute poem. Glad the day turned out ok...

    ReplyDelete
  9. you certainly live a full life...a little blip once in a while is ok!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. first...i'm a shel silverstein fanatic...love him! i can't believe you wrote about this today. my hubby and i are both traveling on monday...both planes leave at 6 a.m. i'll be back late evening...my worry..that my son won't get up to get to school on time. he's so hard to wake up in the morning...maybe being late would shake him out of that morning stupor?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely poem.
    After watching "5 Children and It" we have a saying in our house that when something is lost it's "with the goose and October." Last year with the Christmas makings I swear that something strange happened to November. LOL

    I hope you feel more together tomorrow. Well done for getting up early. I am so not a morning person so I admire anyone who is.... when I'm not cursing them for waking me up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Em!
    I've just joined Donna's "Block Party" (not done/posted a block yet, though) and hope to post Montana Valley later today. I have a swim meet to attend in Eugene today, so I don't know if the block will actually make it to the site...

    Your idea of using the fat quarters to symbolize the weight you want to loose is teerrific! I "did" WW a few years ago (five, actually) and was much more comfortable in my skin. Perhaps it is time to have another go.

    ReplyDelete