Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Treasue from the past

While playing in my scraps yesterday I found this little pink fabric. It took me on a nice journey down memory lane. About six years ago my mom and dad moved down to St George. As mom was cleaning out getting ready for her move she came across this quilt. It was not finished at the time. She started it some time in the 70's. The top was complete. She had sandwiched it and had even started hand quilting it. Well she felt I should have it. Since of my 3 sisters and one brother I'm the only one that quilts. She figured I would finish it. Which I did. I didn't finish her had quilting. I just tied it. It has a big fluffy polyester bat, I did not want to mess with quilting it. That's probably why she stopped in the first place. Can you imagine? Well it turned in to a nice quilt. We use it on picnic's and at the beach. Every time I pull it out it reminds me of my wonderful mom.

12 comments:

  1. What a great treasure you found - more fabric that you can use in another project!!! And I love that quilt (and could not imagine hand quilting it).
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really pretty and what a great idea to use for family gatherings and enjoy the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of the wonderful things about quilting, all the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How special! I love how the smallest/simplest bit of info/fabric can trigger so many fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one of the wonderful things about quilting, is all the memories in a quilt.
    I have a quilt with 20 yr old grand daughters dress fabrics in it from when she was five...I'll give her the quilt when she turns 21..
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right what a terrific treasure! Even though you just tied it you get so much use out of it. After all that is what we are supposed to do with our quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how sweet. Makes me think how this is really what quilts are meant to be for. Used. Making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very pretty quilt! I love the look quilts get when they are old and well-worn, but still treated well - I make quilts to be used!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a really pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a wonderful tied quilt, and I love that pink fabric! Love the design in it...
    It is nice to have life back to normal after all the festivities and company hey!?!
    I have changes in the planning stages, but hopefully will be back to normal real soon myself. 8-)
    Love your little Quilting Bee stitchery, and your passing up on doing the slopes is a wise thing, not old... 8-)
    happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's a lovely quilt - I love the block design! And what better use could a quilt have than as a picnic quilt - very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty quilt! Did your mom teach you to quilt?

    ReplyDelete