Friday, January 9, 2009

Cheering thing up a bit







With Bell passing we needed a little sunshine in our lives. N said he could not give his opinion on my quilts when I was using dark colors. Although I love the darks I have been using and they are comforting to me in that they feel so homey. I agree with N so we pulled out the bright scraps after DD had gone to bed. N sewed this little strip. He doesn't know what it is for but we enjoy sewing together.


I sewed this block . It is for the Friday Block party hosted by Quilt Pixie. There is a link to it on my side bar. Go check it out. It's really neat to see how different the same block can be. I need to get started on this Friday's block. I wonder what bright combination I'll find for it. These colors are bringing a little sunshine and quilting with them keeps me busy and my mind off losing Bell.





Then I started sewing strips together and made this bright and cheery little table runner. I think I will re due the quilting in the border; it's not very uniform right now. I think I'll just do x's like the center. It is mostly bond. DD and N like the colors, though N thinks it need some black to make the bright colors brighter. I told him it's for Easter and I'm not adding black. Just don't think they go together.





Finally I made this fun block for Jacquie's Project Improv, also on my sidebar. I was pretty unsure about this. But felt the need to stretch myself. With some encouragement from Jacquie and a little instruction from Victoria I did this. I loved it and can't wait to do it again. This block will go to Jacquie. But I plan to do a whole quilt this way. It was that much fun.

Hope your day is cheery and bright.
Love, Em

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful colours. I'm having trouble working out just how to decorate in this post New Year but not yet Spring weather.

    I'm sorry to hear about Bell but so happy that she had a long and happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your improv block! I have to admit I didn't join because I am a little intimidated by the whole thing, being the traditional quilter that I am. Yours looks wonderful! Love your little rail fence runner. It is very cute and so is your bright block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those bright colours sure feel cheery -- and while you might not e feleing cheery, they can't help but lift your mood some.

    I love that you're trying a bunch of challenges... hope the stretching doesn't tear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bright colors! they always cheer me up. I also like the improv block; I may work on mine this weekend. you inspired me!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending more hugs your way!!! I know what you must be going through and I am so sorry.

    I LOVE your work EM...I have been reading your blog for some time now and always feel drawn to whatever you are up to...

    We are kindred fabric choosing spirits. What a shopping trip we could go on, buying a lot of the same color schemes.

    Keep up that beautiful work and I LOVE that table runner.

    Marlene

    Aha...my word verification is survive...and you will my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look very cheerful and just what the doctor ordered, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your block! I joined that group too and can't wait to get started this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're finding ways to be cheerful. The block for Friday Block party is so cute! Love it. It's fun to break out of our ruts and try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you did the great job on the improv blog - hurrah! love the fun bright colors you're using. so sorry to read about Bell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the block in those bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The table runner looks fantastic Em, very bright and happy just what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your block is wonderful...you did a great job. love the tablerunner too. hope the bright fabric does brighten your days!

    ReplyDelete