Thursday, January 15, 2009

Becoming a beautiful flower

Do you remember a while ago I told you of a dear friend that through no fault of her own was going through some hard times. Well look what she brought me. These beautiful paper whites. She wanted to thank me, though I have not done anything for her that she would not done for me. As I look at these lovely flowers I think of how they came to be so. These little bulbs where once safe in a warm bin at the garden center. But they were rudely taken from their comfort zone and put into a cold, dark environment where they stayed for weeks. This treatment causes them to put out roots and tiny shoots. As they peek their tiny shoots up they are moved to a warmer location and they grow some more. Finally they are brought out to shine and show all their glory.
Isn't this process so much like life. How often are we pulled out of our comfort zone into a cold and dark environment. As we struggle we put out roots to keep us stead and shoots to reach to new heights. And slowly we become the beautiful flower we were created to be.

7 comments:

  1. So profound Emily! We often have to go through hard times for our characters to become what God wants them to be - fit for His service. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful gesture from you and your friend! I hope all is well with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are lovely, thanks for sharing the process they must go through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way paper whites smell...so beautiful and really a thoughtful gift!!

    Love ya,

    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, what a nice object lesson. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's true! not fun - but true! I have a favorite song called "beauty from pain" it speaks to this truth so clearly . . . your flowers are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Em, now that's a post I can really sink into. Beautiful writing as well my friend.

    ReplyDelete