Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanks, Quilting, and a Ta-daa

Thanks to everyone out there in blog land. Your overwhelming support for my newest venture is heartwarming. I want you to know that I am so deeply touched. Words cannot express my graditude for all your kind words. So just know I appreciate each one of you and feel so blessed to have you be a part of my lifte.
Also a special thanks to Teresa for this lovely award. She gave this to me a while ago. Sorry Teresa for being so slow in my response. I do appreciate your kind jesture. My dear friend Marilyn heard that I was making quilts for my kids for Christmas and offered the use of her Handi Quilter to get the job done. Isn't that just the nicest thing ever. I took a class with Handi Quilter a year and a half ago so I had used their machine. But let me say I am much better on my little Bernina than I am on the Handi Quilter. I am not as good at getting a rhythm. I don't know if this is because I had the regulator on or what. I really had a hard time getting curves to flow smoothly. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I must say it is tons faster than my Bernina. I am not fighting all the bulk, which I must say was very nice. I was able to quilt two of the five quilts I wanted to get done. I am also making a quilt for my Grandma. And my shoulders did not end up in my ears. I'm sure with practice I could figure it out. I think I was getting a little better. Maybe by the time I have these quilts done for Christmas I will have figured it out.
Here is the strippy scraps quarter squared. I got this top done and it is one of the ones I got quilted. Here it is all quilted and waiting for a binding.

And the fans with the half square triangles. I am calling this Memories of Grandma. I will give it to my most wonderful Grandma for Christmas. It is all quilted and bond. Although I might add a little more quilting around the fans. I'll do it on my machine since what I want to do is more delicate than I trust myself to do on the Handi Quilter. Once again thanks for your support. Have a great day! Em

13 comments:

  1. I love the quilt for your Grandma. There is a lot of love poured into that one. I had just read an article about longarm machines in my Quilting Arts magazine and the Handi Quilter was the one the author had decided on for purchase. I know you will have it mastered in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these quilts.......oooo...machine quilting...i'm scared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em With all the talent you have you'll have that handi quilter mastered in the blink of an eye.
    Lovely quilts,blessed are the receivers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you to use a Handi Quilter... I would love to try my hand at that with one of my lap quilts... Trying before you buy is the best sale of all! Not much opportunity for that around here.... sadly...
    Love both those quilts!
    Happy stitchings! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is neat that you have a friend so gracious to let you borrow it! I have no hints on how to use it, but it looks like you did a great job with it. The quilts are coming along beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm Handi Quilter. Nice but I agree. You have to get used to things like that. And the stitch regulator - I have gotta have that. I use my Bernina too, but it is old. Hard to afford everything we want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two beautiful quilts - have fun with the Handi Quilter - remember, practice makes perfect!
    Hugs - Lurline!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of the quilts are just lovely. They just say home and comfort. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you adopt me do I get a quilt too? They are beautiful .
    Clare's Craftroom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Em, both quilts are beautiful, I especially like the fans quilt for your grandma. Regards Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you're being so productive! Love your strings. :)
    I agree -- the bulk is always the drawback. I haven't used anything other than a regular sewing machine to quilt, but would love to try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, you amaze me with what you did here, Em. Both of theses quilts are fantastic.

    Naturally the idea of a Handi Quilter for you to work with is Spot On! You'll get the hand of that lickety split!

    ReplyDelete