Monday, November 17, 2008

Neighborhood Quilt Day

Saturday was our annual neighborhood quilt day. I thought I had taken pictures of all my neighbors around the six quilt frames we had up. But this morning when I went to put them on the computer all I had were the quilts and a picture of clean up. So sorry. I really wanted to share with you all my wonderful neighbors, chatting and working hard to complete all the quilts we had ready to tie. It really is a wonderful event. One I look forward to each year.
Here is a stack of tied quilts ready to be bound. And another with our tally board. When you finish a quilt you get to bang a metal bowl with a spoon and mark it on the board. Everyone cheers. We even have friendly competitions to see who will be the first to finish a quilt. The men and boys join in this fun too. They talk about sports and joke with one another. It is not just a ladies thing. We have a video set up for the small children and a room with toys in it that they can play in with some of the older children to watch. Some of the children lay under the quilts and push up needles for their parents so they can be part of the tying process.
Here we are with the clean up. We did 15 plus quilts. Some got taken home to be tied by families later. Can I just say again what wonderful neighbors I have.
Have a great day and thanks so much for stopping by.


13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day! That would have been a good thing, to see it all in progress. The whole hall full of doings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day!! And you get to bang on a pot when you are done and you aren't even cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a great day! It is also a great way to bring the community together and I love that you get to bang on a pot when you are finished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I lived in your neighborhood and could take part in your Quilt Day!
    It sounds fun.
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was curious when you posted your comment earlier - that sounds like a great day! I love quilting with company :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like such a wonderful community event! I like that everyone takes part - not just quilters. Congratulations to you and your neighbours!
    Hugs - Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love getting together with friends and sitting around a table tying a quilt. Looks like y'all acccomplished a lot of good stuff to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great! An amazing neighborhood you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have good memories of days like this too. It is such a good way to be together and do some good. The pot thing is fun. It makes you want to get to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful fun event. I'm reading through the Elm creek series of books at the moment and they describe events like this. How brilliant to have an annual event!

    ReplyDelete