Friday, September 26, 2008

Grandma and Me

I know I told you I would post pics of my dyeing class, and I will but not today. I want to tell you about the delightful lunch I had with my grandma.
I left my dyeing class for the lunch break. I only had two hours so I wanted to let grandma know I was on the way. When I went to look for my cell phone I could not find it. I knew I had remembered it (most times I forget) but I knew I had pulled back into the driveway after backing out because I had forgot it and ran in the house to get it. So I knew it had to be somewhere. Then I remembered I had heard a clunk while racing to get to my class on time. So at the next stop light, I unbuckled my seat belt, climbed over the center console and looked between the passenger seat and the door. Wa-la cell phone. Yeah! After grabbing the cell phone, climbing back over the console and buckling my seat I notice I had a whole bus stop of people for an audience. It must have been quite a show. They were laughing. Oh well cheap entertainment for them.
Anyway I call grandma to let her know I am on my way. As I am driving to Grandma's I notice that the floor in front of the passenger seat is quite a mess. I have called my car the metal diaper bag since my boys were little, for good reason. So when I get to grandma's I start to clean out the mess so she at least has a place to put her feet. I am so intent on my cleaning that I didn't even notice that Grandma had come out and was about to get in the car. I finish up my cleaning and get out to help her in.
We head to Sizzler. We had a delightful lunch and Grandma told me all about her recent trip to Norway and Sweden. She told me that there had been a couple on the tour with her. When they heard her last name he asked if she knew my dad. She said vaguely, then told them he was her son. It turned out to be my bishop from when I was in high school and his wife. They asked if he was her oldest. When she said no they asked how old are you? Eighty-seven she told them. I hope I'm as active when I am Grandma's age.
Apparently they had visited a bar that was made completely out of ice. I had to tease her about bar hopping. She said what would your dad think if he know his mom and bishop were drinking in the bar together. I had to laugh.
After lunch we went back to Grandma's and looked at all the postcards she had got on her trip. She buys postcards instead of taking photos. All in all it was a most wonderful outing. So thankful for my amazing grandma.

10 comments:

  1. sounds like a great visit... had to laugh I'm pretty sure you were running from your dyeing class not your dying class though right? Or should I worry? :-) hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! I think we all want to be active at 87 years young!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a lovely lunch and time with your gran. It would be wonderful to be able to travel at that age...wow!
    Thanks for entering my giveaway! 8-)
    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Grandma sounds amazing! Good for her. I can't wait for pictures of you dyeing class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Grandma sounds amazing- hope I am that active at that age!! A dyeing class sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Grandma sounds wonderful! Love your story...very funny and I especially love the name for your car..a metal diaper bag- too clever! Cathyx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lucky you are to know your Grandma and have such fun memories of spending time with her. I never knew any of my grandparents. My mothers mom was the only one that I ever remember and only one visit when I was very young.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a blessing to be able to spend time with your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh just gotta love grandma:) I want to be like my grandma..it gives me happy thoughts to be like her and I have her sewing machine to keep sewing just like she did:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very entertaining post! I was afraid you had dropped the phone in a dye bucket. You are a good granddaughter to be taking Grandma to lunch. I hope my granddaughters take that good of care of me someday! Sounds like you are both sweethearts!

    ReplyDelete