Tuesday, September 9, 2008

First Loves Never Die

You have seen this ragged old loved quilt before I know. It is my first. I don't know if that is why I love log cabin quilt or not but they are probably my favorite. I love the versitility of this quilt. No matter how many times I make it, each quilt is unique. There are just so many ways to twist and turn these blocks. The first night I got my EQ5 program my son and I stayed up way to late playing with just log cabin quilt blocks. We had way too much fun.
I made this log cabin star when my boys were little. It holds a special tradition for our family. The week before Christmas everyone gets a night to sleep under this quilt. Starting with the yongest and on Christmas eve my hubby and I sleep under it. This is to insure that all our Christmas dreams come true.This scrappy Americana log cabin I made for my oldest son when he went from his twin size bed to a double. I really like the stares in the cornerstones.
I have made one other log cabin quilt. Sorry no pic of this one. I made it for my baby sister when she got married a few years ago. I would have her send me a picture but she is down south visiting mom and dad.
What is your favorite quilt and why?

12 comments:

  1. what a great Christmas tradition! Whatever will you do when people move away -- you'll have to cut up the quilt and add to each piece so every household has some to sleep under :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tradition! How great to have a special quilt that will help the dreamer have holiday dreams! they are all beautiful. I may have to add a Christmas quilt to my neverending list of quilts that I need to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your log cabins are beautiful, and I too love the star in the sashing cornerstones.

    My daughter made a Christmas quilt this year, and her tradition is that each year, someone new will get to sleep under it on Christmas Eve, and will write on the back of the quilt name, date and something else if they desire. I will have to tell her of your tradition and she might include that in hers as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so true - I love some of the "original" quilts I've made. I've made some 6-7 times! The Christmas log cabin is amazing. I love the big start that pops out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally my favourite is your sons red and blue quilt...it is so my colours!! But I also love your Christmas Log Cabin tradition...what a lovely idea!!
    Cathyxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them all, but my favourite is the log cabin with the yellow stars. What a great tradition for your Xmas log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Log Cabin quilts are a favorite of mine also. There are so many ways to put one together and have different looks. I like the scrappy ones best. Your cabin with the stars is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've never seen log cabin blocks arranged in a star...that is the coolest thing! what a fantastic tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only is that a wonderful quilt, but it's a fabulous tradition! Your children will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Em, I have to say I LOVE your log cabin quilts! I've not seem seen the one you have for Christmas sharing before. It's a great idea.
    And I love the one with the lattice, again, unusual!
    I don't know if I can say Log Cabin is my favorite, but I do love them. I vowed a few years back to make one using every known log cabin layout. I'm doing pretty well on that goal. I think straigt furrows is probably my favorite as it uses an odd number of blocks and rows so very well I think Barn Raising is my least favorite. Your cabins are truly beautiful! Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love log cabins too. I think your Christmas tradition is wonderful! My favorite though is your sons quilt although they are all beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, I think the Christmas tradition you have going with that lovely quilt is my favorite!!!

    How very very special. A real treasure of Love, *karendianne./ Living Life at LeeHaven

    ReplyDelete