Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Old Friends

A dear friend of mine passed away this weekend. Today we will say our last good byes and lay him to rest. Bill had a great influence on the people in my life. He was my uncle's scout leader, and fast forward some fifty years my son Josh's. My daughter loved to go and visit him and his wife Grace. His passing brings a double whammy as Grace will move to an assisted living facility and will no long be a hop, skip, and a jump away. This is probably best for her. Not that Grace needs much assistance. But her friends are there and it is probably better if Grace does not drive. As last May at our book group she came telling us she had quite an adventure that day. Apparently she had got off on the wrong off ramp and when she realized it did a U-ey on the off ramp where she was T-boned, fortunately she was not hurt. Then she says can you believe my son thinks I should not drive. We were all aghast, but you don't tell Grace what to do.

Bill and Grace loved life. Their family room was filled with a menagerie of wild animals that Bill had got on Safari in Africa. The young boys he had in scouts thought they were pretty cool. Grace asked yesterday if any of us were interested in them, apparently their children don't want them. It takes a certain person I think. Grace was one of the Tap Dancing Grannies. She told me that the years just melt away when she dances.

A few thing my family will miss about Bill and Grace. Finding coins in their sandbox. They loved to hide them for the kids to find while they played there. Grace's candied popcorn every Halloween. Grace's round quilts she made for every baby born in our neighborhood. Bill's whispered comments in church that were loud enough for the whole congregation. And Bill's great wisdom, i.e. (The success to any relationship is to learn these magic words, "Yes, Dear.")

Thank Heaven for great people in our lives. For although we miss them when they are gone our lives are better for having known them.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for visiting my blog. I am so sorry to hear about your friend Bill. He sounds like one of a kind. I have a few friends like that. I am sure Grace will be happy at the assisted living place. She will make friends with lots of people her age.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss but I'm sure it's Heaven's gain. I hope that I keep Grace's attitude as I grow older! Blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete