Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Kind of Scrapbooking

As I said yesterday I am not a big picture taker. I hope I didn't leave the impression that I don't take any pictures of my kids. That's not true. I have 4 albums filled with their smiling faces. I just don't take a lot of pictures. I always forget the camera or remember the camera and forget to take the pictures
I am also not a scrapbooker. I feel really good that I get the photos into the albums. I am hoping for scrapbooking fairies in heaven or something. But our family reunion 3 years ago was way to fun not to memorialize it in some way. So this is what I am doing to make sure it is remembered in history.Sorry you have to turn your head to look at it. I am not the greatest when it comes to computers. I don't know how to turn the image.
Anyway right after this reunion a friend of mine, in my quilt guild showed me a book of quilt that were made to remember big events. There was a quilt to celebrate being potty trained, going to school, and you guessed it a family reunion. I knew right then that is what I wanted to do. I asked my kids to tell me what their favorite part of the reunion was and then sketched up things that I remember the rest of the families doing.










I wanted to have it done for this last reunion but I was three people short of getting everyone on. They are all on now, YEAH! I still have some faces to embroider. And I am going to applique DERYKE FAMILY REUNION about the tent trailer. For a border I am thinking of doing Dutchmen's Puzzle blocks, to celebrate our Dutch heritage. Let me know what you think.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Em, for visiting my blog. I just read through yours and I love it! I put you on my feeds so I can catch up often. I love the plaids. They scare me, but I am learning to play nice with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also say "thankyou" for visiting my blog! I love your family reunion ideas! You are very creative for a Mom of 4!! I had 5 kids and understand how life goes on, keep your good work up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Em, thank you for visiting. I have just read about your family reunion quilt,the old saying a picture tells a thousand words.I love it, so much better than going through photo albums. The visual is there for all to see in your quilt.Scrapbooking is not so hard I made a journal of the quilts I have made,last year.I did not have any formal lessons, just picked it up on the way. When I have time I will post if for you to see. Warmest Regards Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! I haven't seen this quilt book idea before but I like it - what a fun thing to do. Blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Em, thanks for stopping by. I too love the plaids. The colors are great! The vacation quilt idea is very cool...a good way to remember family fun;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your nice comment on my blog...looks like you are new to blogging...so Welcome!! I've added you to my google reader so I'll be back...love what I have seen so far :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is marvelous! What a fun quilt and I know your family will get a kick out of finding themselves on the quilt. Now all those "people" appliques would probably have done me in. Did you have patterns for people?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for dropping in on my blog. I enjoyed reading your blog, and your Family Reunion quilt is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic quilt! WOWIE ZOWIE!

    ReplyDelete