Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Tuesday Tutorial~ Wonky Frames

My yarn bomb trees are framed and made into a flimsy. I was hoping to be able to photograph it outside but by the time the top was done it was raining. Bummer! So you get the design wall.
 I thought it would be fun to share how I framed my blocks. Being wonky themselves they were all different sizes. I didn't want to lose any of my trees so I opted to add the frame and then square up the blocks. The biggest of my blocks was 10" x 11". My sides being the shorter side. So I cut strips 3" wide and 10 1/2" long. You don't want to go skinnier than 3" but can go wider, depending on how much frame you want to show. For the top and bottom I cut 4" x 12 1/2". You want to go bigger than the block size so you have a little wiggle room.
 Next make a diagonal cut through your shorter strip. I like to leave at least an 1" at the thinnest part.
 Place the diagonal cut sides along the edges of your block
 Flip so right sides are together and stitch in place.

 Trim off excess so you are working with a straight edge on the top and bottom. Note your block is not going to be square. Don't worry about it.

 Next make a diagonal cut to the strip for your top and bottom.
 Once again place diagonal cut side to the top and bottom of your quilt.
 Flip so right sides are together and stitch in place.
 Next square up your block
 Mine came out at 12" and finished at 11 1/2"
Forgot to take a picture of the finished block. Ooops!  This is a fun way to add interest to a block. you can do it with whatever block you have. Check out this simple quilt using this method by Berlin Quilter. Really adds a lot of interest to those simple blocks. Don't you think?

3 comments:

  1. I love these scrappy pieced trees, looks like they were great fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trees look as though they are dancing. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the design. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete