Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Tuesday Tutorial

I don't know what happened with my post yesterday. I will try reposting tomorrow. I'm afraid anything I do now will mess up the linky party. And I don't want to miss any of the links. 

Over the years I have enjoyed playing with the kaleidoscope block
 I like to use it as an alternate block to create a secondary pattern.
 It is also fun all by itself.
 And a great way to use up scraps.
So I thought I'd share a little tutorial on how to make it. First up you need a strip of fabric. Mine is 6 1/2" wide. This will result in a 12" finished block. You will also need a 45* wedge or kaleidoscope ruler. Place the ruler on your strip and cut out shapes. You can just flip the ruler as you move down your strip.
 Do this with an alternate strip.  You will need four wedges of each fabric plus four 1/2 square triangles. For the 6 1/2" you can just cut 2- 4" squares in half. For other sizes you can use the formula found here.
 Next you will sew your alternate wedges together in sets of two. Make sure you are consistent with which fabric is on top as you sew. If not you end up not having an alternating pattern. Please learn from my mistakes.
Next you will sew two sets of two together.

 Then you will sew your two halves together.
 Finally you will sew your 1/2 square triangles on the corners. You decide which fabric will be your corners. Depending on how you do this will change the look of your quilt. Giving you either a star effect or a ball effect.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my - my very favorite pattern - I like them ALL, there are so many variations. From your photos, I love the one in the snow on the fence - pretty quilt, pretty photo! mmmm I haven't made one of these in a while ... might be a good time to start ... Elaine Adair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial. It does make beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can still see yesterday's post from my end. Thanks for this tutorial -- what a handy block to have in the repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial.
    The bright quilt hanging against the snow is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilts but the 4th one takes the cake!!
    Gorgeous! Thanks so much for the Tut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a clear tutorial. NOW I understand. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the variety in your kaleidoscopes. It's fun to see all the different ways kaleidos can be made. I REALLY, REALLY love that last one and may have to give that a try one of these days. Thanks for the inspiration and putting those darned ideas for new quilts in my head!

    ReplyDelete