Friday, March 11, 2016

Flimsy Finish

 While I was away last weekend I also finished making all the trees I showed how to make here. I could barely wait to get home so I could put them together. If I thought I could have done it at the retreat I would have. But you saw in the last post how I turn my courthouse step blocks, and that was only nine large blocks. So I knew there was no way I could manage getting all these in the right place.
Besides I wasn't quite sure how I was going to arrange everything. With my Plan B quilts, what I call my quilts made from orphans, test blocks and scraps. You can read my Plan B quilt philosophy here.  Sometimes I group like size blocks, sometimes I combine rows and groupings.  This time I went with all rows. Simply adding strips to the top and bottom of blocks to make them the same height.
Houses made from leftover disappearing nine patches from Mountain Blossoms
and setting triangles from Mary's Garden
Pulling out my orphan block bin and throwing them up on the wall is so liberating. I like to let them sit up there while I work on other projects and move them around as I walk by. Letting them talk to me until we both agree on their arrangement.
16 patch houses from leftover strips from Citrus Spin
Large rooftop from Ziggy Granny
 Kind of like a giant jigsaw puzzle only better, cause if something doesn't fit you just add a scrappy strip.
Trees from Seven Sisters 
Trunks from Moving Boxes
And your get to decide what the final picture will be. No box cover to dictate your result.

Linking up with Sarah, Amanda Jean, and Cynthia

17 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful quilt! What a great way to use up your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So bright and pretty! Congrats on a flimsy finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous quilt! It would have been difficult indeed to come up with this from scratch, it is a brilliant use of leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is quilt is beautiful and so inspiring. Your process is creative and so useful! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so inspiring. I have a bunch if orphan blocks I should get out and see what I can do with them. This one is so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super flimsy!! and I LOVE your Plan B (and the Plan B quilt for holly--I had to go and take a peek)...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plan B gets an A in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow.. all those scraps!!! what a beautiful finish. I'm so inspired ;))

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderfully unified look for a variety of orphans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE it! Scrappy delicousness at its finest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats a nice house quilt, different from others I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute quilt top, love your colors, this one looks great.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so pretty! You can't look at it and frown at the same time--it's too happy!

    ReplyDelete