Monday, June 30, 2014

Harry's Puzzle

My Grandpa Harry was a kind and generous man.  As a baby my mom would put me in one of his big mixing bowls while she decorated cakes at his bakery.  When I got older I remember trick or treating at his bakery to get big yummy donuts.  It didn't even have to be Halloween to get a donut from grandpa.  He is gone now.  The bakery is still there and my Uncle David is still good for a big yummy donut when I stop by.  In honor of my Grandpa Harry I created this quilt.  
 His parents immigrated from the Netherlands so I used a Dutchmen's Puzzle block.  Bordered them with a scrappy border because he was a fighter, always willing to stand for what he felt was right.  And used bright happy colors to remember how he always made others happy.  Then quilted it with a puzzle motif.
Named it Harry's Puzzle in his honor.  It is in the current issue of Fon's and Porter's Love of Quilting .  Love ya Grandpa.  Hope you like your quilt.

10 comments:

  1. Grandpa Harry is loving it. Thanks for sharing the history of his quilt. It turned out beautifully.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fantastic quilt. I love the pattern and the quilting that goes with it! What a special way to remember a loved one. So great that it's in the magazine. Gee! You accomplish so much. I think I could use some time management tips from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fun quilting on it, Em. That looks great and is a nice tribute to your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute! Congratulations on its publication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful story that goes with a wonderful quilt, Em! Thanks for sharing. I will make sure to look for your magazine article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great tribute to your Grandpa and a wonderful story to go with the quilt! Love the quilting design! Congratulations on having it published!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You created a lovely quilt in memory of your grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun quilt...love it and the story especially.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great quilt but even a better story. thanks for sharing>
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete