Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stuck On You Dishtowel tute

I have three bridal showers in the next 8 days. So I needed to come up with some cute/practical gifts. I had seen dishtowels that you tied to your oven door handle but the tute I found called for ribbon and I didn't have any that was wide enough. So I came up with my own rendition. I call it the Stuck On You Dishtowel. I'm making my own tute, in case like me, you are lacking in the ribbon department.

You will need:

2 dishtowels,

4- 18" x 4" strips for the ties

2- 30" x 4" strips for the ruffle.

Take one of the 30" strips and press the short edges 1/4" under as shown.
Stitch one end to finish edge.






Next fold in half with right sides together, stitch the short edge then turn and stitch down the long side. Next clip corners and turn the tube right side out.



Next set your stitch to a basting or gathering stitch and stitch 1/2" from the seam side of your ruffle. Now you will want to find the middle of your ruffle and the middle of the bottom of your dishtowel. Gather your ruffle, adjust as needed to fit dishtowel. Pin in place matching up ends and center. I placed mine just above the dishtowel's hem. This way you can kind of feel where you need to sew as you go. Sew the ruffle in place sewing on the gathering stitching. Repeat for the other dishtowel.


Next take one of tie pieces and press the short ends 1/4" in. Next press the long edges 1/4" in then stitch in place.Now fold the tie in half long ways as shown. Repeat with other ties.Fold your dishtowel back into thirds. From the center fold, where you would hang the dishtowel over the oven door handel measure 1 1/2" down and center one of the ties. Pin in place and sew all the way around the tie. Reinforcing where the towel and tie meet. Repeat with the other tie. Now your ready to put the ties on the other dishtowel. Place the dishtowel over your oven door handle and tie ties in square knots. This makes a cute little bow tie. Now enjoy Your Stuck on You Dishtowels or give them as gifts. I have one set done. Only two more sets to go.

10 comments:

  1. I love your idea of using the fabric instead of the ribbon. I was going to make these the last time I saw the tutorial and didn't so I hope I will this time. I love the idea of them being tied so that folks don't grab the towel to use for anything in the house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great idea Emily! Thanks so much for the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute Em! Thanks for the tute! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is that! I love how it won't slide off of the bar. I will definitely have to try, thanks for sharing a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial :-) great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea..thanks or the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found you Em, I love scrap quilts too. I am soo enjoying your blog.......

    ReplyDelete