Monday, July 13, 2009

45 Special

A few years back I took a class from Kaye England. You were to bring 45 2 1/2" strips of fabric and 45- 5" squares of various fabrics. Hence the name 45 special. I was excited for this scrappy class. As you well may know I love scrappy quilts. I loved the class! The rulers that she taught us to use; the Nifty Notions 1/2 square and 1/4 square triangle rulers are my favorites. I use them every time I'm making triangles. I finished all the blocks shortly after the class was done and they have been sitting in a pizza box until this weekend when I pulled them out and started arranging them. Here they are...I'm hoping to finish putting them together today and figure out borders. Anyone have any ideas?

13 comments:

  1. Hi Em, from the photo I see a thin red border for the first .... and the outer border maybe 6 1/2 inch border made in 1 1/2 inch strips......that would give it a scrappy look .........regards lyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a border made up from 45 scraps of fabric? Just going with the theme here......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am no help - I just wanted to say that I think the blocks are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all those scrappy blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those blocks are too good to hide away! Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be one great finish - love it!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so interesting - it makes you want to look closer! Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a variety of blocks you made from those 45 fabrics! You have so many triangles going on in these blocks, how about a half square triangle border?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow so many types of block from those 2 shapes. Well done. Sorry no ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you need a solid inner border followed by a border using some of your scraps. I like Karen's idea of a half square triangle border.

    Do you store all your WIPs in pizza boxes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the other Jackie's idea of a small solid inner border then another border. However, I think you may need to keep the outer border more simple so it is less busy. Great quilt! I just love taking classes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fun class! Love how it's coming together :) Looks like you will have a finish soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like bluebird-lyn's idea of a narrow red border but I'd put a solid wider outer border and then scrappy prarie points on the solid border. Great top no matter what you decide! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete