Thursday, February 26, 2009

Meet the Masters

Every year I help in my children's class in a program called meet the masters. Each month we learn about a different artist. This months artist was Joan Miro. Prior to teaching yesterday I was unfamiliar with him. He was a Surrealist artist. And as I googled his art, I found I really enjoyed it. I've linked his name to a site that has many of his works if you want to check it out.

First we did a worksheet to study how he did his art. Then we drew squiggles to find abstract shapes. The ones we made on construction paper we cut out.

We arranged them on our papers.


Here is some of their work.

Once they got going they really made some great pictures. They were finding all kinds of things in their squiggles.

I really enjoy watching their creative minds work.

11 comments:

  1. What a fun way to explore creativity and learn about artists, as well! This is a really neat way to teach enjoying the process of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun! I remember studying artists in fifth grade, but we never tried to work in the ways they did. I love that you're giving kids that opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking that would also make a great quilt!!!! What do you think?

    It's a great educational class for the children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful for the school to have you come and do these kinds of creative activities. The kids will always remember them, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going into my kids class was one of the most fun and rewarding things that I did when my kids were younger. I think sometimes I learned more from them than they were from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a wonderful way to spend some time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to learn about an artist and create some wonderful artwork at the same time. The kids must have loved it! I know I would have. I had never heard of Joan Miro either, so now I have learned something too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love what Ella brings home from meet the masters! Love this program too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice idea to get children being creative. I 1st saw Miro on a friend's cup from where she had been to an exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would even be great to do at home to get kids being creative!!! Thanks so much for the links.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. miro is one of my all time fav artists! great project!!!

    ReplyDelete