Tuesday, February 10, 2009

If you're ever in a Jam

Do remember last Aug. I had a ton of apricots? The weather was hot, temperatures in the 100's. I was not in the mood to stand over a hot stove to make jam. So I got the apricots ready for jam, measured into the right amount for a batch of jam and threw each bag in the freezer. Well it is now chilly outside. Standing over a hot stove seems quite appealing now. So I pulled out the frozen apricot. Let it defrost. And made jam. Three batches in fact. I still have two more in the freezer to do. But my sister Becky wants to learn how and she couldn't do it when I was. So I left those two to do with her latter.
I now have 14 pints of apricot jam. Yummy, yummy and not to soon either. We were on our last jar of jam when I started this process.



16 comments:

  1. That was such a smart idea waiting until now to make the jam when you can really appreciate how it warms up the house! It looks delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good idea to freeze the apricots to make into preserves later. I do not make either jam or jelly but have been known to make a batch of apple butter. O yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet they taste just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo yummy, yummy! I love apricot jam! Mmmmmmmmm........ 8-)
    Freezing your fruit to prepare jam is an excellent option when you are bogged down with other items from the garden to store, or the heat is not conducive to heating the kitchen up more... 8-)
    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandma used to make apricot jam. Thanks for the memories today. That will be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering and I imagine the smells of summer are very welcome at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great idea. I'll bet it tastes just like summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Apricot jam is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! What a great idea to delay your canning. I think the worst part of canning is that it is usually done in the summer and it is too hot for all the steamy water.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing more wonderful than home made apricot jam. Have you ever made apricot chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Home made jam...nothing better. Congratulations on your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea to wait until it got cold - I hate slaving over the stove in the summer.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is brilliant!!! I made a bunch at my MIL's in Am Fork when I was back there last Summer. I wrapped it and brought it all the way back to NH with me!! We are still eating it. Nothing is quite like home made jam!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Em you are one smart cookie!!!!!!!!

    But then you are "Toppers" granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete