Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Geometry

I am in the Friday Block Party. Every Friday Donna picks a block for us to do. Now I'm not real good at following directions. I prefer to make my 1/2 square triangles my way. (Check out my tutorial if you are interested.) So I usually just sketch the block off the site and go down to my sewing room and figure it out. Now last Friday's block had what was basically a square in a square. They had made it all out of 1/2 square triangles. I didn't want to make all those triangles when I could make half as many and a square. Besides I am making these blocks form fabrics in my scrap bag. Easier to find enough for the square than the triangles. But I think my math was off because I had problems getting my points to meet in the middle.
Now I took Geometry in high school and if you would have told me then that I would actually use the stuff I would have thought you were crazy. I HATED GEOMETRY!!!! Not until my oldest was in geometry did I see how it could help me in quilting. See I took the class and promptly forgot all I learned. Then one night while helping A with his homework. I had to call my dad for a refresher course. (Dad is/was a land surveyor. He is retired now.) As he explained how we figure out how to find the third side of a triangle, I thought you know this would really help me figure out sizes of triangles in my quilts. It was a real light bulb moment. Well I guess I should have grabbed the math book I have downstairs on the shelf that has all those formulas in the front cover. But I was lazy and thought I remembered. (We all know how my brain was working yesterday.) I must have remembered wrong because my square in a square is not quite right. I'm living with it though. I don't feel the need to unpick this one. I like it well enough, missing points and all.
Here are the rest of my Friday Block Party blocks. Thanks Donna for helping me brush up on my geometry.

15 comments:

  1. I just adore all your blocks together and what a funny post. I was laughing becasue it is so me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! I love the colors, and the missing points :) They don't show up - unless you look real close. I had found a tool online to help with the third side a while back . . . http://parkcitygirl.blogspot.com/2008/10/geometry-anyone.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps your link to the tutorial wasn't quite right :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Block Party blocks look great together! Are you going to end up with a sampler quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how pretty - and that sounds sooo familiar! Love the colors you are using!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love the Colours in this one...Nice Block.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh geometry - who would have thunk it? We should have listened to our Moms...

    ReplyDelete
  8. great block -- geometric issues and all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great block from this past Friday!!! Love your fabrics you've used! 8-)
    You are not alone in forgetting all about geometry!!!
    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hia Em, I thought it looked good- the colours work well together too.

    I am useless at Maths full stop. If I can't see it in myhead it's all a fug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was interested in your comments about Geometry...one part of quilting I like is the geometry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is looking great all together! I love the colors you are using for these blocks-so happy and cheerful. I have had the same thought about geometry many times. Why did I not pay attention? I never thought I would use it, but I have needed to figure out many things with it since!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your color choices in your blocks...so bright and cheerful :) I'm going to go check out Donna's blog, looks like some great blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How's the weight loss going? I made my 10 lb goal!! Now on to the 20 lb... Hope to make 40 lbs by July 4th....

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooouu...I love the color choices....'I LIKE'...!

    ReplyDelete