Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Begining to look a lot like Christmas

This is the first decoration we put up every year at Christmas time. It has place of honor on the piano. A constant reminder of the reason for the season. I love nativity scenes. Most of mine are kid friendly. The one on the piano is the only one that really isn't. Here is one made of blocks. My DD likes to play with it.My dad made this cute little nativity puzzle. The pieces fit in the manger. My boys played with it when they were little. This baby Jesus was made by J when he was in preschool. He sets in front of our advent tree. A bead goes over every night. On Christmas Eve the star goes above the tree, shining down on Jesus. Beside is our gifts to Jesus from last year. On Christmas Eve we will read them and see how we did. Then we will write our new gifts on slips of paper to work on for the next year.All the stockings were painted by my mom. The book with Santa on it was also painted by mom and contains stories and songs to be read each night in December. This cross stitch I did when N was a baby. Hubby found the pattern in a magazine and thought it would be a nice decoration. It is but it took a lot of work. Thank goodness N was such a good baby. Each of my kid's names are on Santa's list. I hope it's the good list. These little elves, also painted by mom, watch over us to make sure we stay on the good list.
Here is our Christmas tree. Now if we can just get all the gifts finished we'll be ready.

11 comments:

  1. Your decorations are lovely! I really like all the nativity scenes and the cross sitch is beautiful. I am sure that is the nice list, right?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your nativity sets and the special decorations. So lucky to have such nice things made by your Mom. I really like the idea of gifts for Jesus. Much more meaningful than empty New Year's promises. Does the spools garland still have thread on it, or are they painted too?
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lot like Christmas for sure! Love your nativity sets - I have an old printed panel with a nativity to put together this week. I'm thinking my little ones will love to play with it. :) Your house looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Christmas decorations are so special in so many ways. Those are the ones that are treasured. I can't wait to decorate, but it has to wait until after this weekend.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Em, thank you for sharing the pics of your Beginning to Look at lot like Christmas, a special time. Regards Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Xmas Decorations and Tree..Your Quilts are looking Great too.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have wonderful decorations that are just wrapped up in good memories. It must be a treasure each year that you get to unwrap and hold close as you set them out. I feel that way about a lot of my ornaments on the tree that we have had for many years and that hold special meaning. This year, for the first time in many years, it was just my husband and me decorating the tree. As we put different ornaments on, I taked about the ornament and the meaning it held and he told me to write all that down, cause if I died first, he could never remember it to tell the kids! These memories are one of the many blessings of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Em, everything is so neat. I like bringing out the gifts to Jesus from the previous year, seeing how you did writing down your new gifts. That really moved me.

    And the huge cross-stitch. Wow. I was incredibly touched when you noted each of your childrens names are on Santa's list.

    So much love reflected in your home.

    Rich Treasures of Love, *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love christmas decorations and i'm with you on nativity sets...i only have two (one that i made and one I purchased) but they always get special places in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the nativity puzzle! It's fun to see your house all decorated.

    ReplyDelete