Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Baking is in my Blood

This is my family's bakery. My Grandpa DeRyke started it in 1937. My Uncle David now runs it. I have many found memories of this wonderful place. When I was a baby my mom would put me in a huge mixing bowl while she decorated cakes. When I was a toddler I would take naps in the office on the couch that was in there. I remember trick or treating here with my brother. Grandpa gave us great treats, whether it was Halloween or not. All of our family gatherings have goodies from the bakery. I love the bakery especially this time of year. This is the time when our Dutch heritage comes through with the baking. There is Dutch Confect, and Speculaas (pictured below.) For those of you who have not had this delectable cookie, it is a spice cookie to die for. They are made by pressing the dough into wooden molds that have been sprinkled with sugar and almonds. They are often in the shape of windmills. The ones in the picture are of little Dutch men and women.
Also at the bakery at Christmas time are butter letter. This is a pastry filled with almond paste. Oh soooo good. Grandpa and Uncle David make them in the letter 'M'. They say it is because the letter M looks the biggest when done. But I know it is because I'm their favorite. (hee, hee)

12 comments:

  1. Oh Wow where is this bakery? It looks amazing. Nothing like a little home grown bakery for yummy goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so yummy. What a nice heritage you have in many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I'm really hungry now .
    It all looks fantastic !
    Clare's Craftroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! the treats look so great and the story is fantastic. What a great memory to have and share with your family! I bet you have wonderful treats around the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I had some right now! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do they make fresh Stoopwaffle? I haven't had a fresh one in decades...

    Love the windmill cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you! The baking looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I had a family history like this, I would weigh 500 pounds! One of my great childhood memories is stopping by the neighborhood bakery. I can still smell the wonderful smell.

    Thank you so much for sharing that..now, I need a cinammon roll!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so amazingly yummy! Oh this would be fantastic to visit...
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome part of your families history! You should write a book about it =)
    What I wouldn't give to bite into one of those dutch cookies RIGHT NOW!! But they are almost to pretty to eat aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. it sure is in your blood. wow! those cookies look fab!!! it's too bad i have to admire them from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. how lovely for you to have such a yummy family tradition. What wonderful cookie moulds!

    ReplyDelete