Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Quilters in the Making

My friend Tana recently had knee replacement surgery. Tana does Activity Days with the girls ages 8-12 at our church. Before her surgery she asked if I would do Activity Days until she got better. Because she is such a good friend and because my DD would miss Activity Days if I didn't do it I said yes. Tana wanted me to do something quilty with the girls. I thought about this for quite awhile. I wanted something that would be easy and the girls would be able to finish. I decided on a little sachet. I had my son haul up my sewing machines and my friend Carma, who also helps with these sweet girls, brought hers. I brought out all my 2 1/2" square blocks and let each girl pick 4 to sew into a four patch. There were squeals of surprise when they started sewing. They thought it was like driving. Like they would know. I wouldn't trust them with my car. Let me say if they were driving some would get a pretty hefty speeding ticket. Though when I was there age I was the same way. My mom had won a sewing machine in the fair that she let me use and my friend and I would sew for hours on it. I fed the fabric and she pushed the foot pedal. When I was ready for her to push I would yell "Step on it Sister" Oh the things we created.
After their four patch was made I let them pick a back from another pile of scraps. We sewed them wrong sides together on three sides. Then they filled them with potpourri and sewed the fourth side.
The button jar was brought out next and each girl picked a button. They really had a hard time choosing which would look best on there little sachet. They were so fun to watch as they would place the button on the sachet and stand back to see how it looked. Asking for others opinions. Complimenting one another. Not to different from us, are they.
When there button was sewn on they clipped the edges around the sachet to fray them. They were worried about the mess they were making with their little threads. I told them no outfit is complete without a couple threads. I always have extra thread on my clothes and everywhere else.
They all did a beautiful job and it was delightful to spend my afternoon with these future quilters. (At least I'm keeping my fingers crossed.)

15 comments:

  1. What a great little project for the activity days girls! I bet they loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great project for the girls! And the sachets they made are really cute. I bet you started a bunch of kids on the road to quiltmaking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can smell them from here. How cute. Well done Em, your unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to spend the day with the girls.. I bet they will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like such a wonderful day all the way around! I know they had a really good time. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how sweet and the "step on it, sister!" made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun day! A great positive experience for them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea and very clever of you, Em.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love this. great little project for them. i'll bet they loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great day for the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are sweet to do that for the girls. It seems like just yesterday my little girls were in achievement days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great idea...your are so cleaver...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun! Each one, teach one, right? :o)

    BTW, the loose threads reminded me of a t-shirt I once had that said "Quilters Always Come With Strings Attached." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi em! What a great project for the kiddies, I am sure they loved doing it. I just might have to try it with the grandkids. Thanks for visiting with me!

    ReplyDelete