Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fans

A few years ago I taught a class on foundation piecing to help the shop I sewed for to sell some foundation by the yard. I made up quilts for each of the foundation by the yard the shop carried. There was a pineapple, square in a square, and grandmothers fan. There may have been more I don't remember. Ruth Ann, the shop owner then let me choose on so I could have it in varying stages for the class. I choose the grandmothers fan. I made one block and then had a few more at various stages. I had good intentions of finishing this quilt but after the class it got put in a box and has sat forgotten until today. I finished up the ones that were in various stages. And made several more. Now comes the hard part. In the yard you got 12 blocks and 4 mini fans for corners. The blocks are not very big, only 8". So with what I have I could make a wall hanging or a table runner or topper. I guess I could get more foundation or trace what I have on muslin. Then comes the fun part. How to arrange them? A drunkard's path on diagonal...In a row... Rising suns...
Dresden plate...
Or the traditional fan.
Choices, Choices, What's your favorite?

18 comments:

  1. I'd be tempted to do two rising sun, upside down; turn it into pocket on a bag and "hide" extra pockets behind the fan shapes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm partial to the diagonal snake-in-the-hollow setting like I did on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your grandmother's fan is darling. i love how adaptable and flexible it as as far as possible pattern combination go. my fav is probably drunkard's path on diagonal, because i really like drunkard's path, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful! I am partial to the drunkards path or the row. Any of the choices will look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank for your comment on my blog. I like the fans best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun blocks with lots of possibilities! I think I like the drunkard's path on diagonal best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Em, if it is for a runner, I like in a row. If it is for a table topper I think as a fan.Regards Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a Dresden Plate and traditional fan kinda girl.


    Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the Drunkards Path option... I always like the effect of that with the fan blocks! The blocks look great! 8-)
    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twelve blocks won't make a very big quilt, will it? Maybe you could add some other blocks to it - something similar to this: http://mrsschmenkmanquilts.wordpress.com/2008/10/10/getting-reacquainted/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting my blog and the kind comment on my "creative chaos"
    I love what you call the dresden plate but I would call it a pie without the points, circles are very in at the moment for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked the In a Row. Thanks for showing the various ways to set the blocks. I love photos
    -Rebecka

    ReplyDelete
  13. i really like the dresden plate...but the rising sun is pretty cool too. this is such a versatile block.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love fans. One of my favorite quilts is a fan. I put them sorta opposte each other and then the next row opposite. If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the drunkards path and traditional myself. Congrats on the room cleaning adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've probably already decided but I like the traditional fan setting. One of these days I want to make a fan quilt but my fans will probably be appliquéd onto the background.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, oh, me, me,,,,is it too late to vote??? (waving arm in the air with my best third-grader imitation))

    the rising sun is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete