Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dyeing some more

This one we did by putting shaving cream into water and mixing it to the consistency for whipping cream. Then we mixed the dye with shaving cream and dropped globs of it in the water mixture. Next we used chopsticks to swirl it around. Finally we set our fabric in it. I really liked this effect. This one reminds me of an ugly my hubby had when we first go married. I made painted the dye on the put the black marks on with a foam paint brush. It's not one of my favorites.
This one I did just like the one above. Painting the fabric lightly with brown then using the foam brush I put on the orange. I filled in any light spots with yellow. I like the effect on this one. This is another ziplock baggie one. I did it in colors I knew my son would like.
I tried stamping shooting stars on this one. Then painted around them with dark purple. I didn't like how it was looking so I wadded it up and put it in a ziplock bag. I like it now. If you look close you can still find some of the stars.

This was another attempt at stamping. It took me awhile to get the hang of it.
I did better on these next two pieces.

Though I still have a lot of room for improvement. But it was a lot of fun. And I will do it again.
Many of you have asked what I will do with this fabric. I am formulating ideas. I'll post them when they come to fruition.



12 comments:

  1. Great Job Em they look Fabulous..
    cheers
    maree
    have you seen what I am organizing on my blog..you might be Interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like so much fun! You really did a good job with these. I really like the first one and the tie-dyeish one. I like bright colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting finishes! Absolutely love your first pic here...Though, I think I will stay away from trying it myself. 8-)
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never tried to dye my own fabric...now that I saw the fun you had with yours, maybe I'll try

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like you are having fun...I love the 1st one that is great...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of painting that we all did as kids with sponges etc but this is the grown up version, still lots of fun! Looks like you had a good time. Thanks for visiting my blog too. Come back soon! QGB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that op one is my favorite and I love reading about how you did that. So neat and fun!

    *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm fighting the urge to dye my own fabric. That top one is absolutely what I had in mind.

    All of them are so pretty.

    It sounds like it was a lot of fun, too.

    Darilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like lots of fun..i have never had much luck with dye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing a great job with your handdyes. I love the shaving cream ones and the zip lock bags - guess it takes me back to my teen years in the 60's. Your stamping is going to give you some great results.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Em this looks like so much fun....I like the stamping ones..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very neat dying! I plan to take a dye class this spring. I'd like to try, though I'm leery of having to get equipment for another project. But what a gorgeous look you got!

    ReplyDelete