Monday, August 11, 2008

Unwound

In the title of my blog I said that I would give you ideas of things to do with all the scraps that happen while you make your lovely quilts. I hope some inspiration has happened as you have seen my scrappy quilts. But what do you do with all the empty spools you end up with? If they look like this one. You can use them to charge into your next project. Just use it like a trumpet and say "DA DA DON DA Charge" It will call your sewing machine, rotary cutter, mat, and fabric to attention. They will be ready to march forth on your next project. And when your muse is gone you can use it like a snake charmer to call her back, by humming your favorite tune through it.
But if they are of this variety they possess no mystic powers. But if you add a little paint, some colorfull beads, and a length of jute. They make a lovely garland to decorate your home. I put black paper on the ends of them. It just makes them look more uniform. I painted the part where the thread was different colors. After it has dried I tape it off to paint the area where it flares out a cream color. It makes it look like it is a full spool again. Then I string them on jute. On this one I put the words 'Come In And Unwind' on in vinyl lettering. I need to work on the spacing a little. But you get the idea.

5 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! I'm going to save all mine from now on. And to think I've been throwing them away all this time! Would love to see a close up of the black pepper on the ends - sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thanks for the nice comment on my blog. I love the spools and I have thrown away hundreds I know. Your quilt rack on the wall is great and what a treasure that your Daddy made it for you. Have a great day. Blessings, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!
    What a great idea! I've been saving all of my spools trying to think of something to do with them. It sems like a terrible waste to throw them away. This is the first idea I've seen. What kind of paint do you use on the spools? My spools are plastic so I wasn't sure if acrylics would stick or just peel off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea! I will have to go to Michael's and get some for next year. (Because I donate all the plastic ones to kindergartners!) I can alternate them with felt pennies. And use the crazy quilting beads that are too big. I love this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete