Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Button, Button, Who's Got the Button

I was visiting Teresa's blog http://stitchinfriends.blogspot.com/ . She has made the sweetest little block for Nancy Halversen's Be Attitudes http://www.arttoheart.com/online/index.html. She was complaining about not wanting to spend $10 for buttons for just one block. I told her I knew how to make buttons and would post a tutorial so she could learn. So here goes.
Using polymere clay (Fimo, Sculpey, etc) I perfer Sculpey, it seems softer to me and easier to work with. On a clean surface, I like to use wax paper, so if my button sticks to the surface I can just lift up the was paper and peel it off without distorting it's shape. Knead it to make it soft. Roll out your clay. Keep in mind that darker clays can bleed so wipe off your roller after using them.Cut out buttons in desired shapes. You can use button punches, small cookie cutters, or an x-acto knife to cut out buttons. When adding details to your buttons make sure the top layers are thin. Press them in well to ensure they adhere to bottom layer.
Using a needle punch holes in your button. Do not make them to close or they could crack when you sew them on.Turn the button over and go through the holes from the back. This helps ensure your holes don't close up when you bake the bottons.

Bake buttons at 275 degrees for 10-14 minutes. Do not over bake. It changes the color and warps your button. I know this from experience. Allow to cool and they are ready to use.

The possibilities for buttons are endless. Remember if it doesn't turn out just right it's only clay and you can punch out your frustration on it and start over. No worries. Just have fun.

6 comments:

  1. great idea for getting "just the right touch" for some projects :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are so cute. I am going to have to give this a try...maybe when I am on vacation. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em, thank you for the tutorial on how to make buttons.It is another alternative to store bought buttons. Regards Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool that you can make your own buttons! They are super cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea - I use sculpey (or whatever brand) for little faces and letters; I never thought about buttons!

    By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a very encouraging tutorial. I am going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete